Delayed ejaculation, also known as impaired ejaculation, is a condition where it takes an extended period of sexual stimulation for a man to reach orgasm and ejaculate. This can cause distress and affect sexual satisfaction for both partners.
The exact prevalence is unknown, but estimates range from 3-30% of men. While medical treatments are available, many men seek alternative holistic therapies to address the root causes naturally. This blog will explore holistic medicine approaches to managing delayed ejaculation.
What is Delayed Ejaculation?
Delayed ejaculation is a delay or inability to ejaculate despite adequate sexual stimulation. The time to ejaculation exceeds 30-40 minutes. It is important to distinguish delayed ejaculation from erectile dysfunction, where men have difficulty attaining or maintaining an erection. With delayed ejaculation, men can get an erection but cannot reach orgasm promptly.
Some key characteristics of delayed ejaculation:
- Takes over 30-40 minutes of stimulation to reach orgasm and ejaculate
- Ability to get an erection but not ejaculate
- Causes frustration and stress for the man and his partner
- May happen during masturbation or partnered sex
- Ejaculation may be weak or negligible when it does occur
Causes of Delayed Ejaculation
There are many possible causes for delayed ejaculation, both physiological and psychological. Understanding the underlying cause can help guide appropriate treatment. Common causes include:
- Hormonal imbalances – Low testosterone, high prolactin
- Prescription medications – Antidepressants, blood pressure medications
- Alcohol/substance use
- Pelvic surgery – Prostate, bladder
- Spinal cord injury
- Nerve damage from diabetes or other illnesses
- Performance anxiety
- Relationship issues
- Fear of pregnancy/STIs
- History of sexual trauma
- Strict religious upbringing regarding sex
- Lack of attraction for a partner
Determining whether the issue is physiological or psychological will direct the treatment approach. A mix of both is also common. Consulting a doctor to rule out medical issues is wise.
Impact of Delayed Ejaculation
Living with delayed ejaculation can negatively impact a man both physically and mentally. It also significantly impacts relationships with sexual partners.
Some of the effects of delayed ejaculation include:
- Frustration, embarrassment, and shame
- Lower self-esteem and masculinity
- Feelings of inadequacy as a partner
- Stress and anxiety over sexual performance
- Exhaustion, pain, chafing from prolonged sex
- Avoidance of sex and intimacy
- Relationship conflict, infidelity, or collapse
- Lower fertility and ability to conceive
Managing delayed ejaculation through holistic medicine aims to resolve these negative impacts for improved sexual health and relationships.
Holistic Medicine Approach
Holistic medicine looks at the whole person – mind, body, and spirit. The goal is to address the root causes of illness and empower the body’s natural healing abilities. Holistic medicine for delayed ejaculation utilizes:
- Naturopathic therapies – Herbal remedies, acupuncture, homeopathy, massage
- Lifestyle changes – Diet, exercise, stress management, sleep hygiene
- Mind-body practices – Meditation, yoga, cognitive behavioral therapy
- Communication/counseling – Sex therapy, couples counseling, psychotherapy
The main aim is to reduce anxiety, relax the nervous system, balance hormones, increase intimacy, and resolve any psychological blocks contributing to delayed ejaculation. A combination approach is often the most effective.
Herbal Remedies for Managing Delayed Ejaculation
Herbal remedies derived from plants and herbs have been used for centuries to treat sexual health issues. Several herbs show promising potential in helping delayed ejaculation. They may increase arousal, sensation, and stamina while reducing anxiety. Herbs commonly used include:
- Peruvian root vegetable with a history of boosting libido and fertility
- Contains antioxidants and nutrients that energize the body and balance hormones
- Enhances sexual stamina, arousal, and sensation
- Available as capsules, powders, and extracts to add to drinks or food
- Adaptogenic herb to manage stress and cortisol levels
- Shown to improve sexual arousal, testosterone, and sperm quality
- Anti-anxiety and relaxing properties ideal for performance anxiety
- Best taken in capsule form for 2-3 months
- Improves blood circulation, including to the genitals
- Contains antioxidants that relax blood vessels and increase nitric oxide
- May enhance sexual sensation and make erections firmer
- Available as tablets, liquids, or teas
- Ayurvedic herbs used traditionally for sexual health and vitality
- Naturally boosts testosterone, libido, and sexual response
- Helps build stamina, sensation, pleasure, and performance
- Take tablet doses daily as directed
Herbal remedies should take several weeks to allow time to take effect. It’s best to consult a knowledgeable practitioner to guide appropriate herbs, doses, and length of treatment.
Acupuncture for Managing Delayed Ejaculation
Acupuncture is a therapeutic technique from Traditional Chinese Medicine involving strategically placing thin needles in the skin. Acupuncture points correspond to channels of energy flow in the body. Stimulating these points is believed to correct imbalances and restore health.
For delayed ejaculation, acupuncture may help by:
- Increasing blood flow to the genitals
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Regulating hormones related to arousal and ejaculation
- Improving nerve stimulation of sexual function
- Boosting energy and vitality
Usual treatments involve needles in the lower back, abdomen, thighs, feet, ears, and hands. Weekly sessions for 6-8 weeks are common, then ongoing maintenance. Acupuncture is very safe when done by qualified practitioners. Effects are cumulative, so commitment to the full treatment course is ideal.
Homeopathy is a system of natural medicine developed in Germany using highly diluted preparations of plants, minerals, and animals. It stimulates the body’s healing response. Homeopathy is tailored to each person’s unique symptoms and constitutional type.
Some commonly used homeopathic remedies for delayed ejaculation are:
- Lycopodium – For anxiety, self-doubt, and difficulty expressing emotions
- Staphysagria – Helps move past shame, anger, or resentment about sex
- Conium – Useful when decreased sexual function occurs with aging
- Selenium metallicum – For loss of sexual desire and diminished performance
Remedies are taken as oral doses 3-4 times daily as needed. Cycling the remedies每1-2 months of one remedy and switching to another is most effective. Homeopathy is very safe and gentle on the body. A trained homeopath can guide individualized remedies and dosing schedules.
Massage and Bodywork for Managing Delayed Ejaculation
Various forms of massage and somatic bodywork can help delayed ejaculation by:
- Reducing muscle tension in the pelvis and sexual organs
- Increasing awareness of sexual energy in the body
- Releasing traumatic memories stored in the tissues
- Deepening intimacy and pleasure with a partner
- Moving stagnant sexual energy (qi/prana)
Useful modalities include:
- Tantric massage – uses slow, conscious touch to build arousal
- Lingam massage – massaging the penis and testicles
- Yoni massage – massaging the vulva/vagina of a female partner
- Prostate massage – internally massages the male prostate gland
- Pelvic/genital bodywork – relaxation of pelvic floor muscles
Having a trained practitioner guide partners through massage and bodywork explorations can be valuable. Ongoing practice builds comfort, awareness, and confidence.
Diet and Nutrition
Diet and nutrition changes can optimize sexual functioning in many ways. Some key areas to focus on include:
Increase antioxidants – Brightly colored fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants that increase blood flow. Opt for berries, tomatoes, dark leafy greens, peppers, and citrus.
Eat nitrate-rich foods – Beetroot, leafy greens, avocados, nuts, and seeds boost nitric oxide production, which relaxes blood vessels.
Balance blood sugar – Stable blood sugar offers sustained energy. Avoid sugar spikes and crashes. Complex carbs, protein, and healthy fats at each meal help.
Reduce alcohol/drugs – Limit or eliminate alcohol and recreational drugs, which can hinder sexual response.
Stay hydrated – Drink adequate water, herbal teas, and electrolyte fluids. Dehydration can lead to fatigue.
Review medications – Discuss any prescriptions with a doctor that could affect sexual function. Adjust doses or change medications if possible.
Nutritional supplements like zinc, magnesium, selenium, and vitamin D may also support sexual health. Working with a holistic nutritionist or functional medicine practitioner for personalized diet adjustments and supplement recommendations is ideal.
Exercise and Movement for Managing Delayed Ejaculation
Incorporating more physical movement, exercise, and body awareness has many benefits for sexual health and delayed ejaculation:
Increase blood flow – Aerobic activity like brisk walking, jogging, swimming, and cycling sends oxygenated blood throughout the body, including the genitals.
Reduce stress – Exercise boosts feel-good endorphins, which lead to calmness. Yoga and Tai Chi are expressly meditative.
Improve flexibility – Stretches, yoga, and gentle core/pelvic floor movement increase range of motion and comfort during sex.
Build stamina – Having more energy and less fatigue allows longer, more active sexual encounters.
Heighten body awareness – Mindful movement like yoga connects the mind and body, which many men lack during sex.
Aim for 30-60 minutes of exercise most days of the week. Mixing aerobic, strengthening, stretching, and mindfulness activities provide optimal effects for sexuality and whole-body health. Moving the body regularly builds vitality for the bedroom.
Stress Management Techniques for Managing Delayed Ejaculation
Chronic stress has extremely detrimental effects on sexual functioning. The hormones involved in the stress response directly counteract those needed for arousal and ejaculation. Learning to relax actively has profound benefits. Try these effective stress management techniques:
Diaphragmatic breathing – Deep belly breathing triggers the relaxation response and increases oxygenation. Practice for 5-10 minutes daily.
Meditation – Quieting the mind via mantras, visualization, and mindfulness meditation reduces anxiety and stress hormone levels.
Yoga nidra – A form of guided deep relaxation commonly called yogic sleep rejuvenates the nervous system.
Autogenic training – This process of bodily awareness and repeating phrases helps induce calmness.
Biofeedback – Using technology like EEG to monitor the body’s stress signals facilitates control over physiological responses.
Spending time in nature – Being outdoors surrounded by natural settings like forests, mountains, and lakes has been scientifically shown to lower stress.
Sensory pleasure – Enjoy relaxing baths, soothing music, aromatherapy, massage, or other things that induce pleasure and comfort.
Psychotherapy and Counseling for Managing Delayed Ejaculation
For some men, delayed ejaculation stems from psychological or interpersonal issues. Counseling and psychotherapy can help resolve these to restore sexual functioning. Useful formats include:
Sex/couples therapy – Addresses relationship dynamics, communication blocks, anxiety, and sexual knowledge/skills. Guided sensate focus exercises build sexual intimacy and body awareness.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) – Identifies and changes negative thought patterns that contribute to performance anxiety and tension during sex.
Hypnotherapy – Uses relaxation, imagery, and suggestion to reprogram subconscious beliefs negatively affecting sexuality.
Psychodynamic therapy – Explores deep-rooted psychological motivations often stemming from childhood experiences, trauma, or family dynamics.
EMDR – Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) helps process and release traumatic memories stored in the nervous system, possibly inhibiting ejaculation.
The right type of therapy depends on each man’s unique history and needs. Many benefit from a combination approach. A compassionate therapist knowledgeable about sexuality issues is vital for creating comfort and trust, allowing for vulnerability, insight, and growth.
Summary of Holistic Treatments for Delayed Ejaculation
Here is a quick summary of holistic therapies to improve delayed ejaculation:
- Herbal remedies – Maca, ashwagandha, ginkgo, Tribulus
- Acupuncture – Weekly treatments for 6-8 weeks
- Homeopathy – Constitutional remedy selected by homeopath
- Bodywork – Lingam massage, tantric massage, pelvic floor release
- Diet – Antioxidants, nitrates, hydration, reduced alcohol
- Exercise – Aerobic, stretching, mindfulness (yoga, Tai Chi)
- Stress management – Breathing, meditation, yoga nidra, spending time in nature
- Counseling – Sex therapy, CBT, psychotherapy
A multifaceted approach combining several complementary, holistic treatments tailored to the individual offers the best results. Working with a holistic practitioner is ideal for developing a personalized management plan.
Building Intimacy and Communication with Your Partner
For partnered men, involving your lover in your healing process can be extremely helpful for overcoming delayed ejaculation together. Here are some tips:
- Discuss openly – Share your challenges and process proactively. Allow your partner to support you.
- Try sensate focus – Sensual, unreciprocated touch without the goal of orgasm builds intimacy.
- Avoid pressure – Take orgasm off the table periodically. Learn to enjoy intimacy without expectation.
- Allow patience – It may take 30-60 minutes to ejaculate – go slowly without frustration.
- Prioritize pleasure – Focus on full-body/multi-sensory pleasure rather than genital stimulation only.
- Mix things up – Experiment with positions, location, toys, fantasy; novelty sparks arousal.
- Use lubricant – Reduce friction and increase sensation with water- or silicone-based lubricant.
- Practice conscious touch – Apply mindfulness, presence, and connection during intimacy.
If your partner has trauma or anxiety around sex, encourage them to seek holistic therapeutic support. Work together to cultivate openness, trust, and unconditional acceptance.
Delayed ejaculation is a complex issue that can significantly interfere with a man’s sexual fulfillment, intimacy, and self-esteem. Holistic medicine utilizes natural therapies and lifestyle approaches to address causes, reduce anxiety, improve sexual energy flow, and restore healthy sexual functioning.
Committing to the full course of treatment and being patient with the process supports the best outcome. Involving your partner and prioritizing emotional intimacy are also key elements for success. By tapping into the innate healing power of body, mind, and spirit through holistic medicine, men can overcome delayed ejaculation for a satisfying and meaningful sex life.