Many people experience pain after masturbation. This can be normal sometimes, but if there is regular pain then there may be an underlying issue. Some common causes and treatments have been discussed here.
Table of Contents
What is Masturbation?
Masturbation involves stimulating the penis or vagina to provide sexual pleasure to oneself. It is a natural act and almost everyone engages in it. But some guidelines should be followed:
- Always use a personal lubricant to avoid friction. Soap or oil can cause pain.
- Don’t masturbate too forcefully or vigorously. This can cause irritation and swelling.
- Wash hands before and after for hygiene.
- Daily masturbation is fine but don’t overdo it. Once in 2-3 days is enough.
Also Read: Various Health Benefits of Masturbation
When is Pain After Masturbation Normal?
Mild pain immediately after masturbation can be normal, but it should subside within a few minutes. If you have persistent pain for long periods or pain that keeps recurring, then there may be a problem.
Slight pain on one or two occasions over a few days can also be normal. But if there is discomfort every day or after every masturbation, something is definitely wrong. Seek doctor’s advice in such cases.
How to Identify Pain After Masturbation?
Understanding the symptoms of pain after masturbation can give an idea about the potential problem:
- Location – Where is the pain occurring – penis, testicles, lower abdomen etc?
- Severity – Is the pain mild or too much? Does it come and go?
- Timing – Is the pain immediately after or hours after masturbation? How long does it last?
- Triggers – What causes the pain – masturbation, urination or something else?
- Associated symptoms – Any other symptoms like swelling, rash, discharge etc?
Note down all these and show your doctor. They may recommend tests for diagnosis.
Penile Pain After Masturbation
If you have pain on the penile skin, tip or urethra, some possible conditions are:
- Balanitis – Swelling or infection of penis head
- Urethritis – Urethral infection causing burning and pain
- STDs – STDs like gonorrhea, chlamydia also cause pain
- Phimosis – Tight foreskin causing pain
- Over-masturbation – Excess masturbation leads to irritation
Treatment with warm compresses, antibiotics or circumcision may be needed.
Testicular Pain After Masturbation
If you have pain in the testicles or scrotum, it could be:
- Epididymitis – Inflammation behind testicles causing pain
- Testicular torsion – Twisted testicle cutting off blood supply and causing pain
- Varicocele – Enlarged veins and pain
- Hydrocele – Fluid collection around testicles
- STDs – Gonorrhea, chlamydia also cause testicular pain
Ibuprofen can help relieve the pain. Large swellings or torsions may require surgery.
Lower Abdominal Pain After Masturbation
Some common causes of pain in the lower abdomen or pelvic area:
- Prostatitis – Prostate infection causing pain and burning
- Cystitis – Bladder infection causing frequent urination and pain
- Epididymitis – Testicular infection radiating pain to abdomen
- Muscle strain – Excessive masturbation can strain muscles
Antibiotics are given for infections. Painkillers should also be taken.
Pain in Female Genital Area After Masturbation
Women can also experience pain in the genital area, i.e. vagina and uterus after masturbation. Some possible reasons:
- Vaginitis – Vaginal infection causing itching and pain
- Endometriosis – Lining growth causing cramping pain
- Cysts – Ovarian cysts can also be painful.
- Cervicitis – Cervical infection with vaginal discharge and pain
- PID – Pelvic inflammatory disease causing vaginal pain
Consulting a gynecologist is advised along with antibiotics or painkillers.
Also Read: Harmful Effects of Masturbation for Females
Chest Pain After Masturbation
Chest pain may also be related to masturbation:
- Heart problems – Causing left sided chest pain. Needs urgent doctor visit.
- Costochondritis – Inflammation of cartilage in upper chest
- Muscle pull – Excessive vigorous masturbation can strain muscles
- Anxiety – Stress and anxiety also cause chest tightness and pressure
Resting helps relieve this pain. But heart issues need prompt treatment.
Diagnosis of Pain After Masturbation
Doctors will take a medical history and do a physical exam to diagnose. Some tests may be done:
- Blood tests – To check for infections
- Urine tests – For STDs and urinary infections
- Ultrasound – For testicular, prostate or abdominal issues
- Biopsy – To check for prostate cancer
Tests will reveal the exact problem so proper treatment can be given.
Treatment for Pain After Masturbation
Treatment depends on the cause of pain:
- Antibiotics – For infections
- Anti-inflammatories – For swelling and pain
- Warm compresses – For comfort
- Surgery – For torsion, cysts, chronic STDs
- Lifestyle changes – Reduced masturbation, more water
Early treatment leads to faster recovery. If no improvement, doctor should be consulted.
How to Prevent Pain After Masturbation?
To avoid pain after masturbation:
- Always use lubricants, not soap or oil
- Give the penis some rest after masturbation
- Avoid forceful or vigorous masturbation
- Masturbate only once in 2-3 days
- Maintain hygiene – wash penis and hands
- Stay hydrated – drink adequate water
- Keep underwear free for a while
- Exercise – Yoga and stretches are very beneficial
- Mild pain after masturbation is normal but should resolve quickly
- If pain persists or occurs daily, there is likely an underlying problem needing treatment
- Understand pain patterns and discuss with doctor
- Infections, STDs, inflammation are common causes treatable with antibiotics or lifestyle changes
- Practice good hygiene and masturbate correctly to avoid pain
FAQs on Pain After Masturbation
How much pain after masturbation is normal?
Mild pain immediately after is normal but should go away within 10-15 minutes. If pain persists longer or recurs, it indicates a problem.
Why does penis hurt after masturbation?
Penile pain can be due to conditions like balanitis, urethritis, STDs, phimosis. Infection, swelling, tightness hurts the penis after masturbation.
Why does masturbation cause testicular pain?
Infections, swellings or torsions inside or around the testicles can cause pain. Problems like epididymitis, varicocele too can cause testicular pain.
Why is abdominal pain after masturbation not normal?
Pain in abdomen or pelvic area could be due to prostate or bladder infection, muscle strain or some underlying condition. It is not normal and needs treatment.
Why does chest hurt after masturbation?
Chest pain after masturbation may be from exertion or overuse. Heart problems, costochondritis can also be responsible. Should consult a doctor.
Why do women also get pain after masturbation?
Women can have problems like vaginitis, cervical infections, cysts, endometriosis that cause vaginal pain after masturbation. Seeing a gynecologist is important.
How long is pain after masturbation normal?
Pain should resolve immediately. If it lasts more than 10-15 minutes or keeps recurring, it indicates a problem that needs medical attention.
Does daily masturbation cause pain?
Yes, daily masturbation can hurt the penis and lead to irritation. Hence masturbating only once in 2-3 days is recommended.
How to get rid of pain after masturbation?
Rest, take painkillers, warm compresses, stay hydrated and maintain hygiene. Masturbate less forcefully. Doctor’s advice is crucial.
When should you see a doctor for pain after masturbation?
See your doctor if the pain is severe, persistent, recurring, associated with swelling/discharge. Indicates possible infection or condition needing treatment.